Man Accused in Historic Sex Crimes Case Makes First Court Appearance

The Crown says the charges date back to between 1980 and 1987 and into the 90s, as well.

A 49-year old man from Raymond accused of multiple sexual assaults from nearly 40-years ago making his first appearance in a Lethbridge courtroom on Wednesday (Feb. 7). The Crown says the charges date back to between 1980 and 1987 and into the 90s, as well. The accused can no longer be named since he was a youth at the time of some of the alleged offences. In September 2016, one victim reported to RCMP that she had been sexually abused as a child by a man she knew. Since then, three additional female victims have also come forward with similar reports. The accused was arrested on January 16 and is facing 18 charges in youth court, as well as two other charges as an adult. The Crown noting on Wednesday (Feb. 7) that they had just sent disclosure to the man's lawyer and had the matter adjourned to February 28. He was released on bail last month under the condition that he cannot be in contact with anyone under the age of 18. -Sam Borsato

More from Lethbridge News